This article addresses seven segments into which President Obama has divided the U.S. Presented in seven installments, others are on this website but, since this one is “Dividing by Religion” it’s under “Faith” rather than “National”. The Preface explains why this topic will be addressed in three parts. This is Part One.
A Challenge to 2012 Voters – Place National Interests Ahead of Personal Interests
Installment Four – Dividing by Religion, Part One
Preface: Reading this article may generate various responses. Readers may be amused, annoyed, angered, enraged but none should be confused. The article isn’t politically correct. Sacred cows will not be spared. Oxen will be gored. Still, thoughtful readers may find challenging questions that – in their heart of hearts – cause them to consider whether they are (1) part of the problem (2) love their country sufficiently to become part of the solution by placing the nation’s interests ahead of personal gain.
It’s well established that one of Obama’s re-election campaign strategies is to divide the electorate into segments loyal to him and thereby conquer Mitt Romney. Obama’s carefully crafted divisions thus far include: age; economic status; gender, national origin; race; religion; sexual orientation. Each segment will be addressed with questions and challenges directed to members of that segment.
In writing this installment it was apparent three parts are necessary due to Obama’s blatant attacks on Christian’s religious freedoms and his unqualified support of Islam. The three parts: (1) Obama’s Attacks on Christianity, Judaism and Israeli national security (2) an American citizen’s excellent refutation of Obama’s claim “Islam has always been a part of American History“ which segues into (3) Obama’s unqualified support of Islam.
Let the record show: Obama chose to divide the electorate by religion. This installment addresses divisions affecting Christianity and Judaism, including Israeli national security. Reference sources are included for readers to access and decide if Obama – given his record on these important issues – deserves to be re-elected.
Obama’s Attacks on Christianity
- Obama attacked Christians of various denominations with his support of same-sex marriage since many Christians believe – based on deeply-held religious convictions guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution – marriage is between a man and a woman;
- Obama’s support of same-sex marriage was preceded by his earlier decision not to defend the “Defense of Marriage Act” (DOMA) – that he and AG Holder ruled “unconstitutional” – a decision the U.S. Constitution grants to the U.S. Supreme Court not the President or Attorney General.
- Military Chaplains may be required to perform same-sex marriages, contrary to their religious beliefs, or face discharge as a “Conscientious Objector” — an option readily available to the U.S. Army private who now stands convicted of his plans to kill Fort Hood soldiers.
- Catholic beliefs with ACA provision requiring Catholic institutions to provide birth control prescription coverage for their employees.
Kathleen Parker’s 02/03/2012 column “Catholics and the cost of conscience” described the Obama Administration’s “siege” against Catholic institutions with contraception requirements of the “Affordable Care Act” (ACA). Parker observes: “…the new law forces them to ether forfeit their most fundamental beliefs or face prohibitive penalties – or close hospitals, schools and other charities, with catastrophic consequences for millions who depend on them.”
A more basic issue is whether ACA accommodates other religions’ beliefs while denying Catholics their religious freedom? Although Muslims may possibly be exempt from ACA – because Islam forbids risk insurance contracts declaring them based on probability and extreme ambiguity, even usury – that decision won’t be official until 2014 when ACA takes effect. Amish may be able to opt out of ACA as “conscientious objectors” due to a history of taking care of their own and precedent set by opting out of Social Security.
However, if the Amish can conscientiously object to participate in ACA for religious reasons, what is Obama’s constitutional basis for forcing Catholics to participate in ACA provisions that violate their deep, and long-held, religious principles? And, if in 2014, Muslims are allowed to opt out of ACA, will Catholic institutions then be allowed to opt out of providing contraceptive RX for their employees?
In his 2012 State of the Union speech Obama called for “an America where everybody gets a fair shot, everyone does their fair share and everybody plays by the same set of rules”. Does “Obama fairness” apply to economic rather than religious rules? If so, isn’t Obama denying Catholics freedom to worship by the rules of their religion while allowing the Amish and, possibly, Muslims to “play by a different set of rules”? Since Obama is determined to deny Catholics their religious freedom, does he deserve another term to violate a basic freedom provided by the U.S. Constitution?
Obama claimed 02/02/2012 that “his tax hike policies are shaped by his religious beliefs“
while chastising Romney for ignoring Obama’s “biblical call to care for the poor”.
Two scriptures Obama might find useful: Matthew 26:11 when Jesus said: “The poor you will always have with you but you will not always have me.” – Mark 12:17 “And Jesus said unto them, render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar’s and unto God the things that are God’s”.
Historically, Democrats haven’t believed “the poor you will always have with you”. LBJ proved himself a complete non-believer with his 1964 declaration of war on poverty – that gave us Medicare – an entitlement program with a projected unfunded liability of $89 trillion – in 2009.
Jesus statement about “rendering unto Caesar” emphasized, as the true Messiah, Jesus established a spiritual not a political or worldly kingdom. His ministry stressed individual belief and accountability. Jesus didn’t petition Caesar or Herod to tax the top one-percenters to provide alms for the poor.
On the other hand, in Matthew 25:35-36 Jesus encouraged individual Christians to: feed the hungry; give drink to the thirsty; show a stranger hospitality; clothe the naked; care for the sick; visit the imprisoned. Today, there are numerous faith-based ministries fulfilling those needs more efficiently than local, state or federal governments ever can. Among reasons for the ministries greater efficiency: (1) Ministries’ money isn’t sent to Washington for bureaucrats to skim some for “administrative expenses”. (2) many, perhaps most, of the workers are unpaid volunteers from faith-based organizations.
In February 2012, Obama: “for the fourth year in a row proposed lower tax deductions for the wealthy on donations to churches and other nonprofit organizations”.
Obama’s ideology calls for taxpayer funded, federal entitlement programs.
It isn’t scripture but Obama should remember actions speak louder than words. He berated Romney for not caring for the poor but Romney, reportedly, donates more than a 10% tithe to church and charity. What percentage of his income does Obama donate? It’s quite likely Obama would impress taxpayers more favorably with evidence of his personal stewardship than with entitlement programs he imposes on them.
Finally, if Obama needs a Bible verse for guidance, Micah 6:8 is recommend: ”He has shown you, O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justly; to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God?” Probably the toughest part for Obama would be to “walk humbly” since humility is a trait he rarely exhibits.
An attack on Israeli national security is also an attack on Judaism and its adherents because militant Muslims neither recognize Israel’s right to exist as a nation nor do they recognize Israelis right to survive as a people.
To better understand how Obama has attacked Judaism and Israeli national security, it’s instructive to examine Obama’s foreign relations policy that has been characterized: for foes and frenemies, apologize, accommodate, appease. With allies Obama chooses to insult, irritate and, for Israel, isolate.
In his book, “The Audacity of Hope” Obama said: “I will stand with them (Arab and Pakistani Americans) should the political winds shift in an ugly direction.” (Quote from “The Audacity of Hope” [pg. 261])
The winds must have shifted soon after Obama took office. In his June 4, 2009 Cairo speech, Obama apologized to Muslims for what he, and they, consider transgressions against them by the U.S. He also claimed: “I know, too, that Islam has always been a part of America’s story”.
That claim is the basis for Part Two of this Installment, “Dividing by Religion” and will soon be accessible on this website.
In Feb. 2011 Obama granted de facto recognition to the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt and the U.S. The Muslim Brotherhood was previously outlawed in Egypt because their 21st century objectives include: Goal: “a worldwide caliphate governed by Islamic law”; Motto: “Allah is our objective. The prophet is our leader. Jihad is our way. Dying in the way of Allah is our greatest hope.”
Later, Obama said: “We do not want a democratic Egypt to be saddled by the debts of its past, so we will relieve a democratic Egypt of up to $1 billion in debt and work with our Egyptian partners to invest these resources to foster growth and entrepreneurship.”
In a 2012 Super Bowl Sunday interview with Bill O’Reilly, Obama downplayed the Muslim Brotherhood chances of winning a majority in Egyptian elections while admitting: “But they are well-organized and there are strains of their ideology that are anti-U.S. There’s no doubt about it.”
But win the Brotherhood did! They are now consolidating military and political power. The Jerusalem Post reported 08/23/2012: “While the world persists in looking for signs of pragmatism in the Egyptian president, Mohamed Morsy is quietly taking over all the power bases in the country. Having gotten rid of the army old guard, he replaced them with his own men – officers belonging to the Muslim Brotherhood or known sympathizers. Then he turned his attention to the media, replacing 50 editors working for the government’s extensive and influential press empire – including Al-Ahram, Al-Akhbar, Al-Gomhuria. He is now busy appointing new governors to the 27 regions of the country.”
Consider this timeline: 3 years, 2 months and 19 days after Obama’s Cairo speech, aided by Obama’s $1 billion gift, Egypt – the only Middle East country that has a peace accord with Israel – is now firmly in the grip of the Muslim Brotherhood whose goal “a worldwide caliphate governed by Islamic law” includes the USA, a part of the wide world.
Israel is totally isolated and surrounded by enemy countries. Meanwhile, President Obama’s soft diplomacy, and reliance on the UN, is bringing Iran closer to achieving nuclear weapons with Israel as its top target.
- Are you concerned enough about your country to investigate and determine issues of substance then vote for what you find to be in the best interests of the nation rather than cast your ballot for personal gain?
- Since Obama denies Catholics religious freedom and ignores the Constitution – by refusing to defend DOMA – does he deserve another term to further violate his oath to protect, defend and preserve the Constitution?
- Given Obama’s support of Islam in the U.S. and Egypt, can Israel’s isolation be coincidental?
- Should American Jews be concerned about Obama’s commitment to defend Israel?
- Look beyond what Obama and Democrats say about Obama’s record as President to investigate on your own if necessary.
- Determine which candidate best supports U.S. and Israeli national defense and national security.
- Check out other Neil Stovall articles on this website, e.g.
- “Reasons for Opposing President Obama and His Re-election; “Does Obama Deserve a Passing Grade on Foreign Relations?”; “Suggested Presidential Debate Questions for Barack Obama”
- Read the other two parts of this installments “Dividing by Religion” that will be posted early September 2012.
- Read the other six installments of Obama’s divisions of the electorate.
- Installments 1, 2, 3 are already posted; 5, 6, 7 will follow.
- The Catholic Church has a powerful video “Test of Fire”.
- Watch the documentary movie “2016: Obama’s America”. Decide if Obama’s actions are consistent with the U.S. Constitution and how a President should behave while in office.
- If you can’t watch the movie, visit the following website and read former P&G VP, Lou Pritchett’s “Open Letter to President Obama“.