Dividing by Race – Author’s Note: This article addresses seven segments – into which the President has divided the U.S. electorate – so it is presented in seven installments. This is Installment Six. Previous installments are accessible on the Patriot Statesman website. The seventh installment “Dividing by Sexual Orientation” will be posted soon.
It’s well established – one of Obama’s re-election campaign strategies is to divide the electorate into segments loyal to him and thereby conquer the Republican presidential candidate. Obama’s carefully crafted divisions thus far include: age; economic status; gender, national origin; race; religion; sexual orientation. Each segment is addressed with questions and challenges directed to members of that segment.
This article examines whether it is in the best interests of the U.S. for African-Americans and Hispanics to continue to support the President – due to his race and social programs that benefit them – while both races ignore his record on the economy, national security and dishonoring his oath to protect, defend and preserve the U.S. Constitution to the best of his ability.
In that context this article examines: current national debt; unfunded liabilities; national security, U.S. Constitutional issues. However, this article focuses on the key factor of education that determines whether today’s youth – regardless of color, race, or national origin – have an opportunity of achieving middle class status. So, Education is presented first; other factors follow; then “Questions” and “Challenges”.
Education, the key that unlocks many doors to determined youth with strong work ethics
Almost any classroom teacher can quickly recite the basic components of successfully educating students in grades Pre-K through high school..
- Parental involvement that includes instilling in each of their children:
- the necessity and value of high school graduation as a minimum;
- self-discipline formed by parents enforcing discipline at home to assure proper classroom behavior;
- accepting responsibility for individual decisions and actions.
- Teachers who are qualified to teach required subjects and allowed to teach in the classroom rather than administer discipline to unruly students who disrupt other students and classroom learning.
- What is not needed – activists such as Quanell X defending a 10-year old with a lengthy record of disruptive behavior that prevents teachers from teaching and other children from learning.
- Principals and other administrators who foster an environment conducive to learning and who provide teachers the resources for basic learning and developing analytical skills in students.
- Note: this doesn’t mean each student should have a smart phone.
- Students should learn answers not how to find answers on a phone.
Both African Americans and Hispanics need to address systemic barriers to education they could solve with attitude adjustments, training and instilling a work ethic, rather than a welfare mentality, in their youth.
On June 5, 2012 Ron Haskins of the Brookings Institute testified before the Senate Finance Committee about poverty. Mr. Haskins complete report is available at http://www.brookings.edu/research/testimony/2012/06/05-poverty-families-haskins
However, the report is distilled in his following conclusions.
“Before reviewing these and other strategies for reducing poverty, I want to emphasize the importance of individual initiative in reducing poverty and promoting economic success. My Brookings colleague Isabel Sawhill and I have spent years emphasizing the importance of individual responsibility in reducing poverty and increasing opportunity.
One of our arguments, based in part on a Brookings analysis of Census Bureau data, is that young people can virtually assure that they and their families will avoid poverty if they follow three elementary rules for success – complete at least a high school education, work full time, and wait until age 21 and get married before having a baby.
Based on an analysis of Census data, people who followed all three of these rules had only a 2 percent chance of being in poverty and a 72 percent chance of joining the middle class (defined as above $55,000 in 2010). These numbers were almost precisely reversed for people who violated all three rules, elevating their chance of being poor to 77 percent and reducing their chance of making the middle class to 4 percent.
Individual effort and good decisions about the big events in life are more important than government programs. Call it blaming the victim if you like, but decisions made by individuals are paramount in the fight to reduce poverty and increase opportunity in America. The nation’s struggle to expand opportunity will continue to be an uphill battle if young people do not learn to make better decisions about their future.”
The U.S. Economy – Fact, the USA is not a rich nation:
- Many citizens think the USA as a rich nation – that can afford to provide safety nets for all its citizens as well as for illegal immigrants – but the USA is actually a debtor nation.
- At 6:40 p.m. (CDT) 10/10/2012 the “official” National Debt was $16.164 trillion while Gross Domestic Product (GDP) was $15.409 trillion.
- National Debt has increased by $6 trillion on Obama’s watch but the official national debt is dwarfed by unfunded liabilities of Social Security and Medicare. At 6:45 p.m. 10/10/2012 unfunded liabilities for the two programs totaled $120.945 trillion (SS = $15.946 trillion; Medicare = $104.999 trillion.)
- More striking are National Debt (ND) and Unfunded Liabilities (UL) per taxpayer: ND = $141,183; UL = $1,056,486.
National Security – The documentary movie “2016: Obama’s America” highlights one area – where Obama is eager to reduce expenses, the U.S. military in which there are high percentages of African Americans and Hispanics. Obama proposed cuts starting with a 12% reduction in primary fighting forces. Those fortunate enough to continue military careers will face reduced pay raises and increased health care costs.
This is how Obama rewards an all volunteer military that fought, bled and died in two wars starting October 2001 in Afghanistan. Casualties include an appalling number of maimed and wounded. Many volunteers were reservists: careers were interrupted; jobs sometimes lost. Repeated deployments of reservists & regulars were paid by heavy tolls on families, marriages and mental health. Yet, Obama favors military spending cuts rather than reduce entitlement spending for civilians whose votes he covets.
Obama called for “an America where everybody gets a fair shot, everyone does their fair share and everybody plays by the same set of rules”. But, as commander- in-chief of all U.S. military services, he doesn’t think military personnel deserve a fair shot although they have done considerably more than their fair share and have played by much more stringent rules than any other Americans. Why don’t they deserve a “fair shot”?
The U.S. Constitution specifies three separate branches of government: Executive – headed by the President, executes laws passed by Congress; Legislative, enacts legislation and sends it to the President; Judicial, the Supreme Court rules on legislation when necessary to determine its constitutionality. President Obama usurped:
- judicial powers by ruling the Defense Of Marriage ACT (DOMA) unconstitutional. The U.S. Supreme Court alone decides constitutionality;
- legislative powers with his Executive Order implementing the DREAM Act that Congress didn’t enact.
- in so doing, he violated his oath to protect, preserve and defend the Constitution to the best of his ability,
- Are you concerned enough about your country to investigate and learn about this issue on which Obama chose to divide the nation? Can you ignore Obama’s race and look at his actual record including support of same sex marriage?
- Do you understand the U.S. is a debtor nation not a rich nation and that current deficit spending on entitlement programs isn’t sustainable?
- Should a President – who has violated his oath to protect, preserve and defend the Constitution to the best of his ability – be rewarded with a second term?
- If a parent, will you accept your responsibilities to instill in your children self-discipline, the necessity and value of a high school education and a strong worth ethic rather than a welfare mentality?
- Watch the You Tube video by Bishop E W Jackson “Exodus Now! Blacks, Christians, Godly must leave the Democrat Party!” presents persuasive arguments for a mass exodus from the Democrat Party following their national convention.
- Can Obama be trusted with National Security if given more flexibility? Watch this brief video to inform your decision.
- The Catholic Church has a powerful video “Test of Fire”. Watch it by browsing
- See the documentary movie “2016: Obama’s America”. Decide if: Obama is: ignoring the U.S. Constitution; following a personal agenda rather than protecting U.S. interests and sovereignty.
- If you can’t see the movie, visit the following website and read former P&G VP, Lou Pritchett’s “Open Letter to President Obama”. It will help you make the same decision.